Friday 21 December 2012

Foodie Friday #18 - Peppermint Patties

For the third instalment of my holiday treats Foodie Friday, I am sharing one of my all-time favourite food combinations, chocolate and mint! About five years ago, I decided to be a bit adventurous and try my hand at making candy. That's when I found this great recipe for homemade peppermint patties. It's a messy one, but well worth the end product!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 softened margarine
1 tsp peppermint extract
4 3/4 cups icing sugar
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate squares




Directions:

With an electric mixer whip corn syrup, margarine and peppermint extract. Add icing sugar 1 cup at a time, blending after each addition. Shape the candy mixture into 1" balls and place on a sheet of waxed paper. Gently flatten each ball with the bottom of a glass and let stand for 1-2 hours or until dry. Melt chocolate, stirring until smooth. Let cool about 10 minutes. Drop patties into chocolate, coating, and place back on the waxed paper. Allow them to sit another 1-2 hours, then place them in an airtight container and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment