Monday 17 December 2012

Year End Countdown #2 - Bands to ride to

My next year end countdown is less of a countdown and more of a list of some of my favourite artists to listen to while out on my bike. This year, for my husband's birthday I purchased him a portable iPod speaker, so now when we head out for a ride, he hooks up the speaker and we get to listen to some great music while we cruise around as a family. Here some of are my favourites, and if you've not heard of them, please check them out. They're definitely worth a listen!


Best Coast - The Only Place

Hailing from Los Angeles, Best Coast is known for their surf pop, low fidelity sound. Their 2012 release, The Only Place, was stumbled upon by my ever music-savvy husband, and quickly became my favourite album of the summer. Whenever I was missing life back East, or feeling a bit down, I would hop on my bike with this album and be reminded why I love living on the West Coast. The band may be referring to California, but with these lyrics, it's hard not to feel really great about where I live!

Why would you live anywhere else?
We've got the ocean, got the babes
Got the sun, we've got the waves
                                                     This is the only place for me




Discovering new bands is always great, but finding out that your new friends are the people behind the music is very exciting! The guys from City of Glass are a great pair, and their music was on my iPod for most of my Spring and early summer rides. From Vancouver BC, City of Glass has a unique sound from most Canadian bands, and have had a lot of success in Europe. Their 2011 EP, The Diving Bell, is melodic and beautifully sung, and remains in my playlist to date. I'm looking forward to their debut LP, due out in 2013, and keep an eye out for a young member of the Velo Family in a future video!




This album one day appeared on my playlist thanks again to my husband, and being ever curious, I had a listen. I was instantly hooked to the vibrant guitar, songwriting and sound. Riding around sometimes requires an upbeat sound, and Fun Times (2012) does not disappoint. The eighth track, Polly, is a favourite, and I'm sure I was caught by many stranger singing along while out for a ride!





Every summer has the perfect album, and for the Velo Family, Part & Parcel, the 2012 release for The Skints, was that album. The Punk Reggae band from East London, UK created an album that is an upbeat, very much danceable album, just ask my son. The Reggae sound made it the perfect album for our seawall rides, and now makes us reminisce about a great summer on our bikes!






Regina Spektor - What We Saw From the Cheap Seats

I'll admit I'm kind of late to catch on to Regina Spektor, but her 2012 album What we saw... has become my fall album, even though it came out in May. I always have a soft spot in my heart and musical ear for female singer-songwriters, and this beautiful album with contrasts of light and dark has been on repeat during some dark, evening rides and on the cloudy days of Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment